Saturday 13 October 2007

The Lizard

I stood by the window and looked outside
And spied the lizard so bravely glide
From up the hill the bold lizard launches
To touch down safely on the Bauhinia's branches
And in case you think I'm talking crap
That cute lizard has a wing-like web

In my garden it plays hide and seek
With lots of insects and bugs to pick
Butterflies, beetles and the bumble-bee
Amongst lily, hibiscus and morning glory
Dragon-flies, ants and the ladybird
Among the flowers, leaves and dirt

When I get near the lizard remains still
Just like it would when going for the kill
With its brown colour and tail like a twig
To disguise itself, it doesn't need a wig
In my Bauhinia bush and the "chiku" tree
The brash young lizard simply runs free

One morning last week as I dig and hoe
And admire the flowers and watch them grow
Among the sugar cane the lizard did hide
Fast like lightning, the golden snake strike
With the lizard in its mouth, the snake I sight
A snake's breakfast was the poor lizard's plight

Goodbye my friend for I've been blessed
You're the first flying lizard I've ever met

T.W.Lee

No comments: